Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Session 1 is Dead! Long Live Session 1!

You guys...you guyyyyys! You guys were all so amazing at graduation! My goodness I don't even know what to say. I am so proud of each and every one of you for your hard work, energy, and attitudes this session. What an incredible way to celebrate the completion of my first year of teaching at the School.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

I like all of the songs I bring into class, but the songs you guys picked are particularly special to me for various personal reasons, so it was an exquisite pleasure to bring them to life with you on stage. And so here they are!

Guitar 3 triumphantly told the story of my favorite rock and roll space alien, despite the fact that I was half out of it on decongestants. Two of my fellow teachers sought me out over the weekend and told me how great you guys sounded, and I concur. Thanks to Mark for the video! (By the way, I'm doing a Bowie show again on March 22nd at Parlour on Clark. Save the date!)


On Saturday during Guitar 2 Rep, I was having a lot of feelings. My mentor at the School is departing and I was sad about seeing his last class perform. And for some reason I decided it would be a good idea to spontaneously play the lead guitar part on this tune, even though I'd never rehearsed it or, y'know, bothered to figure out how to play it. I was a jumble of nerves, but you guys are brave, so I was inspired to be brave, and it turned out alright in the end. Thanks for your kind words and support before we took the stage. Looking forward to terrorizing all of you with barre chords this week!


And last but most certainly not least, Guitar 1 Rep absolutely KILLED it with She Don't Use Jelly. Boy did we make the right choice, you guys! All the other classes did sad and heavy songs, so ours was the perfect pick-me-up, and it really sounded great. You can hear how delighted the crowd is, and I can't tell you enough how much I love to hear you all singing. I'm not 100% sure that that was the first time The Flaming Lips were heard on the Old Town School stage, but if not, it was certainly a rare jewel indeed. Thanks for getting weird with me.















My sincere appreciation to all of you for being my students! It's a joy to be with you each week, and I look forward to seeing many of you again in Session 2. For those moving on, as Woody Guthrie says: so long, it's been good to know ya!



No comments:

Post a Comment