Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Guitar 1, Week 1 Recap

"I'm so lonely. I wish somebody would pick me up and practice like their teacher told them to!"

The hardest part is already over. You've sat through your first-ever guitar lesson and you're still alive! You did not die from embarrassment or lack of talent. It's all smooth sailing from here. Trust me.

Welcome to my class, this blog, and the Old Town School family! We're all real glad you came.
If you scroll way back to some of the earliest entries here, you'll find some tips for beginners from when I was a beginning teacher myself!
Here's that clip of Jambalaya I mentioned in class: http://allsixornone.blogspot.com/2013/03/son-of-gun.html

And, though we didn't play it in class, if you stayed for Second Half (and if you didn't, tsk tsk you missed some fun!), or flipped through the song book then you know that Pay Me My Money Down is a tune you can play with D and A7, and it's one of my faves. Here's a post about that:
http://allsixornone.blogspot.com/2013/03/week-1-pay-me-or-go-to-jail.html

Also in the book, take a look at Good News, Skip to My Lou, Oh! Susannah, and My Home's Across the Smoky Mountains. All of those are tunes you can already play! Just remember that the space in between those goal posts is one measure, and one measure equals 4 beats. Play the chord written above the staff for the number of measures shown until it asks you to switch chords. You're reading music!

Remember the names and numbers of the strings? (here's a refresher: http://allsixornone.blogspot.com/2013/03/string-theory.html)

Remember how to number your fingers?

Remember how it's only rock and roll and you're allowed to relax and have fun with this?

If your answer to any of the above is "no," just drop me an e-mail so we can chat it out.
Keep on strummin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment